In Oxfordshire we are lucky to have a good supply of homes for older people.
It can take a variety of forms:
Sheltered housing is specially designed for older people. People choose it for a variety of reasons, for example: -
- Because they need housing more suitable for their mobility needs
- Because they want the peace of mind and security of a safe environment with staff on hand
- Because they value the friendship and opportunities to get involved with activities that living in a sheltered scheme can offer
Schemes do vary, but generally include:
- Self contained flats with their own bathrooms and fitted kitchens
- Communal facilities such as a laundry room, communal social rooms and guest room
- Social and other activities on site
- Security and safety features such as door entry systems
Older People’s Housing
Some independent one and two bedroom housing is let with a community alarm service.
To find out more about the availability, please contact your local district council.
Extra Care Housing
Extra care housing is different because you:
live at home, not in a home
have your own front door and can decide who comes in
can live with your partner or friends
can choose to join in social activities such as communal dining, or be more private if you so wish
have control over your finances
have access to 24-hour care support from a care team on site.
The aim is to provide you with a home for life.
For more information on Extra Care Housing please click here
Further information on housing for older people is available from the Oxford City Council website.