Skip to content | Monday, 17-Jun-2024 | Text Only View | Site Map | Text size: A A A

Oxford City Council

Click here to download the browsealoud software (this link will open in a new window)

Private Accommodation

A lot of accommodation in Oxfordshire is rented from private landlords. Some landlords offer lettings to people on low incomes who are claiming benefits.You can find details of private accommodation in local newspapers and free sheets, on the internet and through estate agents.

There is competition for rented vacancies. Adverts are placed in the local papers and there are also a number of property or letting agents. Agents may charge a fee for their services and you normally have to pay a deposit before moving in. Not all vacancies are advertised widely. Most landlords let properties for 6 or 12 months at a time.

You may be eligible for help with the rent from Housing Benefit – ask your local council.

Many councils run a form of tenancy deposit scheme. These schemes help people who are homeless or in housing need move into private rented accommodation.

A Deposit Guarantee Bond is issued to a Landlord as a guarantee to cover loss or damage to the property. The bond is equivalent to one months rent.

Please note that this is not a cash deposit, and does not cover rent arrears.

The schemes may differ slightly. To find out more detail, and information about eligibility, contact your local council.




Site powered by Abritas  |  Cookie policy